Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mt. Vernon

On Monday, President's Day, Beth and I headed to Mt. Vernon, home of our first President George Washington.

This is Beth and I on the Metro on our way to Mt. Vernon.


I took this picture for Mom and Dad. Do you guys remember when we were in our hotel and I asked what that tree looking thing in the distance was? I'm pretty sure that this is it. It's the George Washington National Masonic Memorial.




This is at the entrance to the Mt. Vernon Estate.




This is a stained glass window from the visitor's center.



This is the house. It's made of wood but the wood was carved to look like white stones!
I wish we could have gone inside but since it was President's Day and it was free there were so many people there and we didn't have time!





These are pictures of a little parade that came through.







This is the Old Vault of the Washington Family.







This is the burial place of George Washington himself!










George is on the right and Martha is on the left!




Here lies George Washington!
I was only a few feet away from him!




Down the hill was a slave burial area.






The slaves are buried somewhere in here.



This is George and Martha's view of the Potomac from their house!
Not a bad view!




This is Beth and I by George's back porch.






I hope to go again in the Spring when all of the plants are blooming and there are hopefully less people!

No comments: