Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Historic Falls Church

This Sunday I attended the Historic Falls Church (established 1732), at which George Washington was a vestryman. I'll take you on a little tour with my pictures but I suggest you go to www.thefallschurch.org in order to see the whole history. It's really cool!

These are pictures of the front of the Church.







This is the front entrance




This is a close up of the plaque on the left side of the entrance.




This is the inside of the Church.





This awesome pipe organ was added in 1967. It sounded so beautiful!





This is a picture of the gallery level where my friend Lee and I sat. It was in the original design for the church but was not added until 1959.





This is an awesome churchyard! It has all sorts of amazing historical people in it. People ranging from unknown Confederate soldiers to the Bailey family plot (as in Barnum and Bailey Circus).



There are four of these gravestones from the late 18th Century. However, they were not originally buried here. The graves and stones were moved to the churchyard in the mid-20th Century to clear the site for George Mason High School.




I always need proof that I'm really there! Well, here it is again! :0)





This is the oldest known grave in the graveyard. It belongs to John Carolin (nice beginning of a last name!!) 1764-1805. The holes in the middle of the headstone are from Civil War musket balls. Soldiers were quartered in the church during the Civil War.



On the way back from the church I found a little slice of home! I saw Gresham Place and felt right at home!





As if that weren't cool enough, I noticed that I was on the corner of Gresham Place and Washington Street! (Go Northwest!!!!) (It's hard to see the Washington Street in this picture but it's there. I promise!)




The cool facts were taken from the official Falls Church pamphlets! ;0)

No comments: